Smarkets is a real-time online trading platform with an Erlang backend and Python frontend. Smarkets is disrupting the global betting industry by offering a modern betting exchange product with significantly lower transaction fees than the competition. We have traded over £150 million of bets since launching in February 2010.
Smarkets is at the centre of the London startup scene and has been featured in publications such as Wired UK and TechCrunch and was recently selected as part of the Startups 100. Our office near Old Street (London) is shared with other exciting startups and has a pool table, foosball table and fully stocked fridge.
We are heavily driven by user-focused design and a focus on technology and engineering as a first class discipline. We use agile product development techniques and release changes frequently.
We are also heavily invested in world-class technical talent from such pedigree as Wolverine Trading, UBS, Last.fm, and Bloomberg; and are looking to foster that reputation within the community and investors. Both founders are technical.
We are well funded by top investors including Passion Capital and growing quickly so are looking for Python and Erlang engineers to join our team.
A bit about the job and working environment
The part of our stack which runs behind the website is one of the few that uses Erlang as a primary language, and is supported by other well-known Erlang projects such as RabbitMQ and CouchDB.
The non-Erlang pieces of our stack are mostly written in Python, and relies heavily on asynchronous programming techniques and REST. We use the following technologies: VirtualBox, Vagrant, Flask, gunicorn, PostgreSQL, Ganglia, Icinga, Graphite, Cacti, Jenkins, Trac, Git and many other open source packages.
* Build new products and services that augment our exchange offering;
* Improve existing market exchange infrastructure and services;
* Program primarily using Python and Erlang; and
* Work in a start up environment where getting things done is crucial.
* Computer Science (or related technical field) degree or equivalent professional experience;
* The ability to learn quickly with enthusiasm;
* The ability to work independently and lead design/architecture of new features;
* Knowledge of transaction processing and relational database design; and
* Prior experience delivering solid web-related products in a GNU/Linux environment.
* Functional programming experience;
* Experience with web technologies and methodologies like web servers, REST, and protocol buffers;
* Experience using Git in a multi-developer environment.
Other information about the job
* This is a full time, on site job;
* Pay is £30k – £60k, depending on experience, plus options;
* The job is based near Old Street, London, United Kingdom;
* We are not able to assist with relocation.
* Smarkets: https://smarkets.com/
* Team: https://smarkets.com/about/team
* API: http://smarkets.github.com/
* Blog: http://blog.smarkets.com
* Press: https://smarkets.com/about
If you are looking for a flexible, agile team to work with; want to work somewhere free of big corporate politics; would like a cool project to work on; and fit the above criteria we’d love to hear from you!
Please get in touch at email@example.com providing a CV and some examples of your recent or relevant work.
To all recruitment agencies: Smarkets does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Job type: Permanent full time
Remote working possible: no
Level of experience required:
This job is located in London, England, United Kingdom
Sorry, no agencies please