Qualities we’re looking for
• You are passionate about web standards and accessibility.
• You write clean, efficient and maintainable code.
• You have a solid grasp of when and when not to use features of CSS3 and HTML5.
• You have experience working with CSS pre-processors such as Sass.
• You understand how to build responsive websites.
• You are familiar with a code versioning system such as Git.
• You understand and advocate progressive enhancement.
• You have experience with PHP or a similar server side language.
• You have an understanding of the MVC pattern.
• You keep up to date with front-end development tools and trends.
• You attend industry conferences or local meet-up groups.
Qualities that would make you stand out
• You have experience managing a team of developers.
• You are able to pinpoint and debug front-end performance issues using Chrome
• You know how to automate front-end tasks using a task runner such as Grunt.
• You have played with client-side templating languages such as Mustache or Handlebars.
• You have a good understanding of user experience.
• You understand A/B testing and can make decisions based on data.
• You have worked in an agile environment.
Who we are
Our flagship product iROKOtv, dubbed the “Netflix of Africa”, is the world’s largest online distributor of African movies, with an audience of over 6 million people worldwide. We are a fast growing VC-backed start-up and have offices in London, New York, Lagos and
Johannesburg. We are looking to expand our London based tech team in 2014 in order to tackle some of the larger challenges we are facing to grow our business in Africa. Techcrunch, CNN, CNBC Africa, BBC, Variety, Financial Times, Economist, The Forbes and many others have featured us.
Our tech stack
On the back-end we’re a PHP shop. We use MySQL and MongoDB for data stores and Redis and Memcached for queuing and caching. Our servers are built on AWS and are managed using Chef. We use the friendly campfire robot Hubot to run our deploy tasks. NewRelic keeps us in check.
Why work for us?
• An annual self-development budget of £1000 for conferences, training, books etc.
• 2 team trips to our New York office every year.
• Trips to our Lagos office (for the more adventurous).
• Working on an exciting technical challenge (video in Africa!).
• Friday afternoons are spent hacking together on non-core projects.
• A diverse working environment (not your typical startup!).
• A company that is young, agile and responsive to great ideas.
• A 27” iMac.
• A competitive salary.
• Flexible working hours.
• Milestone based bonuses.
• Free fruit and drinks.
In your covering letter please include a link to your Github profile and/or examples of your work.
Job type: Permanent full time
Remote working possible: no
Level of experience required:
This job is located in London, England, United Kingdom
Sorry, no agencies please