- Launched in 2015, Live Better With is a one-stop site of healthcare, home aid and wellness products and information, for those with long-term conditions - of whom there are 40m+ in the UK and 160m+ in the US
- The initial focus for Live Better With is cancer, and the focus is providing cancer patients and their families with an equal mix of commerce, content and community
- The founder/CEO, Tamara Rajah, was a Partner at McKinsey and a leader in the Global Healthcare Practice, and has entrepreneurial experience from founding three previous start-ups (http://bit.ly/1QU2V88)
- Live Better With is well capitalised through early stage VCs Forward Partners, and is positioning for a significant institutional round this year
- The company was a Gold Winner at the MassChallenge 2015 Awards
- Already has operations in the US (New York) & the UK (London) - this role can be based in either location
By the end of next year, 1000 people in the UK will be diagnosed with cancer every day. They’ll receive great medical care to treat the progression of their tumour, but there is another side of care. The tumour itself, and the treatments – like chemo, radiation, surgery – cause countless symptoms and side effects – like the kind of itching that makes you scratch till the skin is raw, a persistent metallic taste, difficulty swallowing, incontinence, brain fog, skin burns, as well as those we more frequently hear about like nausea, hair loss and pain. When you’re living with these, it’s hard to have a normal home, family or work life.
There are actually hundreds of products that can help relieve these symptoms and side effects, from balms to food supplements to books to mobility aids. BUT patients and their families either don’t know about them or struggle to find them to purchase. This is hugely frustrating and wrong.
Live Better With is a one-stop shop for those with cancer, with all the products and information needed to improve the quality of day-to-day life. We want every single cancer patient (and their families and carers) to know about every single product that might make a difference to their lives.
In our store they can see a curated range of products, each of which has been recommended by patients, families, healthcare professionals and charities. For each product, they will find the brand(s) that have received the most positive feedback.
An Overview of Your Future Role
The incoming Lead Developer will report to the Founder CEO Tamara Rajah.
The Lead Developer will work closely with Tamara to improve the current product whilst also building new, innovative digital products and features to help the company continue to grow globally at a rapid rate. From this perspective, it is crucial that the future digital product pipeline is built with international expansion and multi-platform transactions in mind, therefore experience of having done this in the past will be a strong advantage.
The role of Lead Developer is a broad, high visibility, high impact position and one suited to a truly innovative, ambitious technology executive. The opportunity ahead is significant, and the incoming candidate will have the chance to make the key decisions required to position the business for aggressive growth over the next 12 - 18 months.
Summary of key responsibilities:
- Build things and ship stuff. He or she will be hands-on with writing and submitting lines of code on a daily basis
- Define the overall technology strategy and budget, leading the architecture and delivery of an in-house, scalable, e-commerce platform.
- Ensure scalability and robustness of the platform, identifying and driving continuous improvements.
- Ensure company technical challenges are resolved in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Hire, direct, coach and inspire a high-calibre technical team taking a hands-on approach where necessary e.g. conducting code reviews and driving release schedule.
- Embed an agile software development methodology, taking a lead to ensure a culture of continuous iteration and collaboration flows through the entire organisation.
- Give input to key management decisions regarding product
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of technology standards, trends, emerging technologies and software development best practices.
- Ensure that technology standards and best practices are maintained across the organisation as it starts to scale.
- Share knowledge, mentor, and educate the organisation’s investors, management, staff and stakeholders with regard to the company’s technology vision, opportunities and challenges.
- Reports to investors/shareholders with detailed monthly presentations on technical progress and data integrity.
Current Technology Stack
The current technology platform operates on a world class, highly scalable python-oriented stack, setup by the Forward Partners technical team. Continuous integration and deployment processes are already in place, allowing us to continuously deliver value to our customers. The technologies currently in use include: Python, Django, Oscar Commerce, PostgreSQL, Redis, Celery, RabbitMQ, React, Flux, Webpack, Gulp. The local development environment is built on top of Docker and the production environment is fully powered by Amazon Web Services.
N.B. You do not need to be familiar with all of these languages to apply.
- DEEP AND BROAD HANDS-ON TECHNOLOGY EXPERIENCE – Will have come up a software development route to their Lead Developer position so have the ability to be hands-on from the outset. Will be a very credible technology leader. Will have end-to-end technology experience but will bring a spike in terms of back-end development, whilst still being skilled at front end development. It is crucial that the successful candidate has the ability to build a best-in-class technical architecture, positioning the business for significant but seamless international expansion in the coming years.
- APPRECIATION OF BEING ‘ON BRAND’ AND BUILDING ENGAGING DIGITAL PRODUCTS – Whilst health industry experience is not a pre-requisite, having an appreciation for brand and what an outstanding customer experience looks like is important. Given the rapidly-changing global ecommerce landscape, the incoming Lead Developer should be adept at thinking beyond the transactional relationship with the consumer i.e. building enticing products which include relevant, traffic-building content; integrating products with social networks and the broader digital community; and truly building a brand online/digitally. Will be focused on using technology as an enabler to deliver an exceptional digital customer experience.
YOUR GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS
- You are a self-starter, who will be used to working in a hands on and pragmatic manner.
- Whilst you can develop thoughtful and strategic plans, you have a bias towards action and you naturally execute at pace with a focus on results
- You are not rattled by ambiguity and change, and you have the resilience to deal with ups and downs and keep a steady head throughout
- You have a positive attitude and mindset, and when things go wrong you automatically start to look for solutions
- You are only satisfied with excellence in all you do, and you motivate others to maintain the same highest standard
Team/Dept: Technology / Product
Job type: Permanent full time
Remote working possible: no
Level of experience required:
Salary/package: £55,000 - £70,000
This job is located in London, United Kingdom
Sorry, no agencies please