£35,000 to £40,000 + Very significant (1%) options (shares).
Farringdon, London (EC1A 9PT)
Do you want to be a lead developer at growing startup, write software using the latest frameworks and tools, build a product used by millions of people, deal with big data and APIs from the likes of twilio, twitter, facebook and linkedin, solve difficult scaling problems and research new technologies for us to use? Do you consider software development a craft and are proud of your work both in terms of the quality of code you write and the experience you create for the end-users. Do you want to do this from a fun, friendly environment while having a significant stake in a business that is going places? Read on …..
We are looking for a Senior PHP Developer with over 5 years of experience to join our team. Despite appearances, we are a small development team and you will have a critical role in finalising the development of the next generation of the DeskPRO product as well as implementing the rather extensive plans we have for the future. You will also play a major part in helping us develop the engineering team moving forward.
A little bit more about us; our principle product is DeskPRO. DeskPRO is multi-channel social helpdesk software. What does that mean you ask? Well, we make it easy for organisations (companies – large and small, charities, public sector organisations) to communicate with their users via email, twitter, SMS, web forms, live chat (text and voice) as well as providing publishing self-help tools, sales management, co-working tools and community based question and answers. DeskPRO is a platform with a bunch of applications that make all this work.
We sell this software to a range of organisations including FTSE 100 companies, universities and government departments all the way through to small family businesses. We have a dual license model; selling licenses for our visible source code (your code will get read!) and offering a fully managed SAAS solution. Millions of people use our software every day.
We use git to manage our source code and Jira to manage our work. We use cutting edge frameworks and libraries including Symfony2, Doctrine, jQuery, MooTools, Elasticsearch, memcached and are continually experimenting with new ways to make it easier for our team to create great software.
• The drive to work in a startup. You have big ambitions and understand your role will be instrumental in driving the business forward.
• A passion for programming, solving problems and building software customers love. You will be up to date on the latest trends, go to meetups when you can find the time and read like crazy.
• Experience building web-based applications as distinct from websites.
• An expert in OOP/MVC/ORM programming techniques.
• Solid familiarity with PHP. We are more interested in your generally programming ability than years of service to the PHP language; however some experience in delivering PHP projects is a plus.
• Experience with a PHP framework. We use Symfony2, Doctrine and the Zend Framework but we are not hugely concerned about which you have used. What matters is that you wouldn’t even consider building a large application without the benefits of a framework.
• A badly indexed database terrifies you. You will probably start a task by designing the database structure. You know how to bend MySQL to your will.
• An appreciation for a beautiful GUI and excellent user experience.
• Experience using git for source control
• A love of good customer support and satisfaction from helping organisations excel at pleasing their customers.
• Solid front-end development experience with XHTML, CSS, and JS (particularly via jQuery)
• Knowledge of Linux, Apache, Cloud computing infrastructures.
• Alternative data stores (memcached, NoSQL).
• Experience with web APIs (facebook, twitter, twilio, linkedin, etc.)
• You\‘ve created a RESTful API
• Public developer credibility: a github page, stackoverflow answers, contributions to an open source project, a blog etc.
• You’ve hired someone
What we offer:
• A competitive salary and a significant 1% equity in the business. You can probably make more money in the short term contracting or at a larger company – but are looking for the significant upside such a stake in the business can provide.
• Varied work. The DeskPRO product is large with lots of modules and technologies. You will never ever be bored.
• Friendly work environment with a plethora of other startups at the Innovation Warehouse in Farringdon: http://theiw.org/ until we are big enough to setup on our own.
• Complete control over your workstation setup.
• We plan to have a lot of fun on this journey – please bring a sense of humour.
• To apply please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be in touch. We get lots of applications so it really helps if you can include some source code (or link to public code you exclusively wrote) to help us filter.
• This role is on-site at our Farringdon offices. Please only apply if you have legal status to work in the UK.
I’m an accountant; no idea why I am reading this job spec – but it sounds like the perfect job for my friend.
• Tell them! We pay a referral fee of £500 to anyone who recommends a candidate we later employ.
Job type: Permanent full time
Remote working possible: no
Level of experience required:
This job is located in London, England, United Kingdom
Sorry, no agencies please