Who We Are
We are Blaze and we create the ultimate products for urban cyclists. To start with, we reimagined the bike light…
Blaze began by tackling arguably the biggest problem for city cyclists; being caught in the blind spot. Our innovative lights also have a laser that projects the symbol of a bike down onto the road ahead. They give the cyclist a presence out of their usually small footprint, helping to prevent drivers ahead from turning across their path.
It is a simple idea and a very big problem, hence the excitement – have a google! Blaze has had incredible, ongoing and incoming press attention, featuring in The Times, Telegraph, BBC, New York Times, Wired, Sky News etc. Founder Emily has won various entrepreneurial accolades and the company has to date raised 2 successful rounds of Seed Investment, with current interest from some very big names.
We launched Blaze on Kickstarter at the end of last year, wanting to raise £25K in a month, we smashed through our target in less than 5 days, going on to be 210% funded.
Now, just one year on, we are releasing both our Blaze light and the rear light for retail this autumn. Distributing worldwide from our own website, as well as in store via exclusive partnership with Evans Cycles. However the lights are just the beginning, we have a roadmap of future products, including both hardware ad software, a tiny team of 4 full-time, and a lot to do!
What We Are Looking For
• A rockstar Ops person.
• Be the person to nail our launch. Someone to run the company and deliver the brand on a daily basis as CEO becomes increasingly outward facing towards launch.
• Previous experience in top consultancy/operations role, eg. L’Oréal, Amazon, Wiggle. Ideally then gone one to run a large part of a small business.
• Someone who’s so organised, it can’t help but rub off on the rest of us. Whose best friend is the Devil in the detail and second is a spreadsheet.
• Incredibly numerically minded with fantastic modeling skills, you always go back to the numbers and can build complex ground-up financial forecasts.
• A strategist and thought partner to the CEO, but that also gets things done.
• Although you may have no previous knowledge of Patent law, you’re the kind of person to willingly undertake an afternoon’s research to become an expert.
• A critical 50 page legal contract from a supplier presents ideal nighttime reading.
• Happy learning new software.
• Someone really great with people and relationships, as you’ll be managing many relationships internally and externally.
Example Responsibilities in First 12 Months
• Putting our accounting and management information system in place.
• Running and managing our supply chain, between our partners in Asia, retailers, distributors and fulfilment third parties.
• Develop a strategy and execution plan with timescales for next 12-24 months, hold the whole team to it in our critical first year.
• Own the company financial model, liaise with accountants and oversee bookkeeping.
• Build out KPI’s for the company, track and communicate them to the CEO and across the team.
• Liaise with lawyers to manage Blaze’s IP portfolio; having deeply understood the current IP we hold.
• Manage our base and office – it is likely we will need to commit to a bigger space soon.
• HR – help the CEO build the team and ensure everyone is getting paid properly.
Example Attributes You Will Have
• Love your bike! Sorry, it’s a big part of why we all love Blaze.
• Be analytically intelligent and think in numbers.
• You’re never late.
• Not always be the idea generation but unbeatable on execution.
• Super diligent and incredibly hard to find a typo in your emails!
• Creatively risk adverse – would never cross the line but will find paths around it
• Discreet and trustworthy, you can be trusted to know everyone’s salaries.
• Love what you’re doing and hard work or long hours come second to solving a problem.
What We Offer
• Be one of the very first team members of Blaze. Have a real say and influence on how the company grows and what we become.
• Salary negotiable, approximately £40-50k, depending on experience, including options.
• This role has a clear progression to potentially CFO/COO as the team expands.
• You would be joining us at the most exciting time – just before we launch, things will go nuts from there. Be a big part of building a global brand we are all proud of.
• The opportunity to work for a company that is doing something different; creating truly innovative products for urban cyclists, tackling real and big problems and changing the way people bike in the city.
• Emily – Founder + CEO – left studying Physics at Oxford University to pursue Product Design in Brighton, where Blaze was her final year project. The immediate buzz and media attention it generated caused her to start her own company to launch it. She has also studied Design in Milan, Entrepreneurship in America and is one of the inaugural members of Entrepreneur First, a celebrated accelerator for high-growth tech startups.
• Matt – Creative Director – experienced product designer; with background in Mechanical Engineering, Matt then studied Industrial Design Engineering at the RCA, before becoming a visiting tutor. Some of Matt’s most celebrated work includes the underwater Scuba Diving aid, the Bladefish, and B&Q’s Sandbug power tools. Matt has an incredibly rare combination of skills, with engineering and mechanical expertise, a strong design-for-manufacture focus and a beautiful design aesthetic.
• Eliot – Engineer – Extremely talented and experienced developer, specializing in geospatial search technology, Google App Engine for Java. Eliot’s working on Blaze’s incredibly exciting next product.
• Will – Project Manager – fresh from studying Mechanical Engineering at Bristol University, Will ran our Kickstarter campaign to great success and is busy getting anything and everything done right across Blaze.
• Diana – Marketing Lead – newest team member, with previous experience in IT consulting & a masters in social anthropology, she’s bringing awesome insights to our branding and Ecommerce as well as marketing experience to all the touch-points of Blaze.
Job type: Permanent full time
Remote working possible: no
Level of experience required:
This job is located in London, England, United Kingdom
Sorry, no agencies please