Short Company Intro:
Balderton is one of the leading early-stage venture capital firms in disruptive technology in Europe. At Balderton, we are dedicated to nurturing innovative, world-leading companies of lasting value, and we have the people, the skills and the financial capabilities to make it a reality.
Balderton was founded in 2000, manages approx US$2bn in committed venture capital and has achieved more $250M+ exits in past 5 years than any other European VC. Our track record of $1bn exits includes Yoox, MySQL, bebo and Betfair. The revolutionary companies in our current portfolio include Kobalt, Scytl, Wonga, Wooga and The Hut Group.
By joining Balderton Capital, you will join an entrepreneurial and dynamic team where the Partners bring a wealth of operational experience and track record that is unrivalled in Europe. This is the opportunity to be right at the leading edge of venture in Europe in a firm universally regarded as one of the best.
Background to the role:
A top strategic priority for Balderton is to optimise the use of public data sources and analysis to identify and track the hottest start-ups in Europe. These insights are increasingly important in our business, given the rapidly increasing volumes of open data that signal start-up success.
We need a specialist who can put in place and run the tools to make sure Balderton is at the forefront of this approach.
Working closely with the Principals and Partners, you will take responsibility for leading the definition and construction of a bespoke technology infrastructure and systematic approach which creates, for Balderton Capital, a leading-edge capability to use data and analytics in order to gain a sustainable competitive advantage in the market.
Specific responsibilities are to:
• Define, project lead and manage a hybrid “buy and build” strategy; assess and incorporate the ‘best-in-class’ analytics software tools, both for initial launch and to ensure continuous improvement plus the development of bespoke, highly interactive and adaptive algorithm based tracking tools.
• Execute strategic reviews and analytic deep dives of sectors relevant to our investment strategy, in order to provide an enriched data driven view of companies, sectors, geographies and themes in our eco-system.
• Play an active role in the analysis of future deals; carry out technical due-diligence on any potential investment, to support the Partners and Principals when considering an investment decision.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
• Super smart & highly analytical.
• Recent experience as an analyst or researcher in consulting, banking or technology.
• Passion for the ‘tech’ sector (mobile, internet, software).
• Experience of complex analysis in excel, access, SQL or similar.
• A working knowledge of modern programming languages.
• Bachelor’s degree in Maths, Computer Science or Physics at a top tier university – PhD or Masters a plus.
We are looking for an individual who not only has the technical expertise as a software developer or analyst, but someone who can bring an inquisitive and creative mind-set to this challenge. The right person for this role will be motivated not just by optimising the data, but by what the data is telling us and the decisions the team makes as a result of the conclusions. The ideal candidate will see and articulate a vision of what is possible but also continue to evolve and improve.
The ideal style fit will be:
• Independent and autonomous in working style. Thrives in a non-corporate and dynamic team.
• Articulate, super smart, curious, gets things quickly, learns fast.
• Energetic, passionate, driven and ambitious.
• Motivated to work with early-stage disruptive technology companies.
Please e-mail Talent@balderton.com
Job type: Permanent full time
Remote working possible: no
Level of experience required:
This job is located in London, England, United Kingdom
Sorry, no agencies please